Monday, July 8, 2013

Common Core Math

Last year we implemented Common Core in our school. It was a year that I learned a lot. It also was my first year teaching third grade. Our professional development focused on math and math strategies. We learned about MDI's or Meaningful Distributed Instruction. You choose a focus for the year when writing these problems. For 3rd grade we chose multiplication and division. We have two short story problems for each day. These problems should be able to be solved in 30 seconds to a minute.
After the first problem, I have three students come to the board and model how they solved the problem.
Then we choose one way of solving the problem, discuss it and then try to solve the second problem using that same strategy.
I love that we are doing story problems at least 3 times a week. I also love that the whole thing takes about 5 minutes, once you have your routine down.
I have created 60 MDI's for your use. Each one comes with two story problems. You could use them as an MDI or just use them as story problems.

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/3rd-Grade-MDI-or-Story-Problems-Multiplication-and-Division-683035

I also am unsure if anyone sees or reads this. I am also unsure how you would subscribe to follow it. Anyone to comment on this post, to let me know you are seeing this or to help me figure out how I know if people are following my blog can have this for free!

Ready, Set, Comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment